Tuesday, January 15, 2008
I have been busy moving, hence the lack of agricultural updates. Last night I did the next step in my attempt to salvage the remnants of my mushroom log.
I packed some of the cleaner looking bits in the spent grains I got from my friendly local home brewer. Before I did, I sampled one of the grains. It was very sweet. Before I did this, I let them bake at about 150' for at least 24 hours. They were frozen solid when I put them in the oven but a day later, when I opened them up, they were gently steamy inside.
I didn't sterilize my jar but it was clean. Hopefully the steam from the grains kept the mold away while not penetrating the mycelium. That's just one of my theories.