Monday, January 21, 2008

Catching up with the Aerogarden

Well I had to fire up the Aerogarden on Christmas Day. Here is what has happened since then.
The basils were the first to peek out of the sponge, after just a couple of days (large picture). Then leaves appeared and up came the chives and thyme .


After a week pretty much every thing was up except a parsley. It's still the runt of the lot.
We tried piggybacking an avocado seed on the thing. I didn't plug in the mint cylinder due to the abundance of mint outside.

3 comments:

rigtenzin said...

I like the idea of growing herbs indoors. Because of the problem you mentioned with cost of store-bought herbs and the inevitable waste, I don't use fresh herbs in the winter. We grow our own in the summer though.

I'll have to look into the indoor kits.

Frederick Ingram said...

Thanks for the comment. I will also be using an AG to start stuff to grow outdoors; I think I am a little late on the snow peas though. I put some hops seeds in it last night but those are notoriously difficult. I think where the AG is going to excel is in keeping fresh herbs on hand and delivering fresh lettuces that aren't slimy from handling and packaging.

Anonymous said...

Wow, glad to see someone else blogging about the Aerogarden!

Thanks for dropping by my page. You'll see me around too.